learning the "write" stuff
——高中进阶 (2018-2019学年第22期) 1版
a new organization has been established in shanghai dedicated to the study of "old" technology. as its name indicates, the shanghai contemporary handwriting academy (上海当代硬笔书法院) will give young people a chance to learn about the "ancient" skills of using pen and ink to communicate, but, more importantly, to learn how to think.
as the "new" technology of using computers and smartphones has taken over society, students no longer need to learn how to write "mechanically;" they let their keyboards do the work. for chinese students, this has made it easier to recognize characters, but has caused problems when it comes to writing characters since it can be difficult to remember all the strokes (笔划). for english students, it means they may not be able to write at all.
not long ago, a man in toronto, canada, discovered that his nine-year-old son, who was a good student, could not write. the family had planned a foreign holiday and they needed passports. the applications required a signature from each family member, but the son turned to his father and said, "dad, i don't know how to write my name." in his school, students had not been taught "cursive" (连笔的) writing — how to join letters to form words. instead, they had only been taught keyboarding and how to print words in block letters (大写字母).
handwriting, as the new organization recognizes, is an important skill that goes beyond communication. studies have shown that students who use handwriting to take notes in class remember information better — improving their scores by as much as 15 percent. and people who use "longhand (普通书写)" to write essays are able to think more clearly and creatively.
the use of pen, brush and ink in chinese calligraphy (书法) has all those benefits, but it has the added quality of being an art. each character is really a small drawing. several years ago, i began taking calligraphy lessons and discovered how difficult it was, but also how satisfying and beautiful. with chinese calligraphy, even a grocery list can look like a work of art.
although keyboarding has done wonders to make life more efficient, it is too impersonal — a message or text could have come from a robot. handwriting is anything but robotic. each person's handwriting is unique and conveys an individual's personality and emotion. and in today's impersonal world, that is something we should strive to maintain.
google made a map based on the top searches in the united states related to "how to spell _____" by state in 2017. can you spell these words correctly?
beautiful, available, college, disease, diamond, license, ninety, surprise, delicious, schedule
which chinese character did you look up in the dictionary most recently because you forgot the strokes (笔划)? what do you think is the main reason why people are unable to spell english words and write chinese characters correctly?
1. for chinese students, this has made it① easier to recognize characters, but has caused problems when it comes to② writing characters since it can be difficult to remember all the strokes.
① it 在句子中作形式宾语，真正的宾语是"to recognize characters"。当复合宾语结构中的宾语是动名词或宾语从句时，也常用it作形式宾语。
e.g. you must find it exciting working here.
② when it comes to sth./doing sth.: when you are dealing with sth. or talking about sth. 当涉及或谈论某事时
e.g. when it comes to baking, my mother is the expert.
2. although keyboarding has done wonders① to make life more efficient, it is too impersonal — a message or text could have come② from a robot. handwriting is anything but③ robotic.
① do/work wonders/miracles: be remarkably successful in achieving positive results 对……有奇效，极成功
e.g. this medicine will do wonders for your headache.
② “could + 不定式的完成式”表示的是对过去的可能性猜测，说话者对此并没有十足把握。
e.g. he could have sent the email, but i haven't heard from him yet.
③ anything but: used to mean the opposite of the stated quality 决不
complete each sentence using one word from the box in its correct form. note that there is one word more than you need and you can use each word only once.
dedicate mechanically application benefit satisfy efficient
1. she __________ for a job with the local newspaper.
2. cycling is highly __________ to our health and the environment.
3. the __________ of the public services in this city left me a deep impression.
4. he was asked the same question so many times that the answer became __________.
5. do you feel a sense of __________ at the end of the working day?
1. applied 2. beneficial 3. efficiency
4. mechanical 5. satisfaction
2. 在主管休假期间，将暂时由亨利管理企业。(take over)
3. 在没有人可以征求意见的情况下，我觉得要做出最明智的选择很难。(turn to)
1. the employees who only do tasks they are assigned often miss the chance of promotion.
2. henry will take over the business temporarily when the director is on leave.
3. without someone to turn to for advice, i felt it difficult to make the wisest choice.
4. although amy is working to a very tight schedule, nothing can stop her from striving for perfection.
choose the best answer.
1. according to the article, which of the following is an advantage of using computers and smartphones?
a. it gives people more time to think.
b. it helps chinese students make out characters easily.
c. it enables chinese students to remember the strokes.
d. it helps teachers teach cursive writing.
2. paragraphs 4 and 5 mainly talk about ______.
a. what the author has learned from practicing calligraphy
b. why a growing number of people are unable to write
c. how we can develop our handwriting skills
d. why we should not give up handwriting today
3. the author is ______ the establishment of the shanghai contemporary handwriting academy.
a. dissatisfied with
b. amazed at
c. hopeful about
d. concerned about
suppose the shanghai contemporary handwriting academy is going to organize a series of activities to encourage handwriting. it is seeking advice from high school students. write an english letter by hand to submit your proposal.
「英语阅读进阶版」"idolizing" the positive（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」work hard, play fair（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」breaking the cycle（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」what's outside the box?（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」do we really chat?（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」mooncake tradition gets a modern makeover
「英语阅读进阶版」you deserve a "brighter" future 内附音频
「英语阅读进阶版」i feel, therefore i am（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」when in rome, do as the romans do 内附音频
「英语阅读进阶版」what does the phone filter?（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」opening up, forty years on（内附音频）
英语阅读进阶版：the good, the bad, and the ugly（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」who let the dogs out?（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」the tragedy of hate（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」the enduring magic of mickey and disney
「英语阅读进阶版」taming the tiger（内附音频）
universities show "red card" to english majors
【英语阅读进阶版】myself, family, friends or strangers?
- 告别“盲种”，种植牙进入“人工智能”时代 岛城首个数字化口腔种植中心揭牌
- 中国新一代步枪即将亮相 不再采用无托结构淘汰95式
- 汪敦敬：香港楼市有铁三角支持 升浪或持续一年半
- 不用去东北 北京最美冰灯节璀璨开幕 冰川飞瀑打造梦幻冰雪奇观！